Located in Saint Mary’s Square, this church is found in the main square of the Town. Legend has it that it was founded during the Visigoth period. Later, it became a Mosque and after King Afonso Henriques’ conquest from the Moors, it became a Christian Temple once again.
Saint Teotónio was its first prior of this church. Later, King João III endowed it his wife, Queen Catarina of Austria. It also housed a collegiate. Queen Leonor profoundly changed the medieval temple in the end of the 15th century. Also, the bell tower was constructed during these restoration works. This church was damaged in the 1535 earthquake, but it was immediately reconstructed with the support of Queen Catarina and of prior Rodrigo Sanches. It is after these works that the temple acquired its current appearance.
The See more