The current church of Benfica succeeded to two preceding temples, whose most ancient registration dates back to 1391. Its construction works started in 1750, being dedicated in 1809. The church was built in the middle of two churchyards, with its frontage in framed stonework with traces of an Italianised Baroque making reference to the kind of architectural plans by João Frederico Ludovice. The ceilings are in ornamented stucco, the walls in marble-like paintings, the chancel hosts an altarpiece in polychrome marble and the side-aisle altars show paintings by Pedro Alexandrino. The 1733 wayside cross can still be seen in the outside.