Nossa Senhora da Saúde (Sacavém)

Nossa Senhora da Saúde (Sacavém)

Share button Share


The chapel was first dedicated to Saint Andrew and was a dependency of a pilgrim hostel and a lazar house. Back from 1599, dates the first reference to the present invocation of Our Lady of Good Health, whose image according to tradition was found when a grave was being dug near the chapel during an outbreak of plague. The original building was demolished and rebuilt at the expense of the faithful in 1652 and again in 1756 after the earthquake, as the lintel above the door advertises. The high altar is made of carved and gilt baroque woodwork and shelters a late medieval image of the patron of fine sculptural quality.

Follow us

Follow us in the social networks