Nossa Senhora da Luz

Nossa Senhora da Luz

Share button Share


The construction works of the Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Light, formerly a part of the Convent of the Order of Christ, started in 1575, under the sponsorship of Infanta Maria and under the architectural plan by Jerónimo de Ruão. It was built next to a fountain of medicinal characteristics, on the site where a hermitage existed since 1464. The transept and the chancel, a great example of the Portuguese mannerism, with its marble-like coffered vault, the marble sides with niches hosting statues, the tomb of the Infanta and the magnificent gilded wood carved altarpiece with paintings by Francisco Venegas and Diogo Teixeira have survived the 1755 earthquake. Also noteworthy are the paintings of the side-aisle altars and the Manueline traces in the fountain. The church is the seat of the parish of Carnide since 1918.

Follow us

Follow us in the social networks