Madre de Deus

Madre de Deus

Share button Share


Established by Queen Leonor in 1509, the Convent of the Mother of God was at first a simple building, but underwent, until the 18th Century, several works that have enriched it. From the 16th Century, the mudejar ceiling of the primitive chapel, the Manueline bell tower and the Mannerist architecture of the church are worth noting. The church and the two monastic choirs form one of the most magnificent sets of Portuguese Baroque art, due to the conjugation of the gilded wood carving with the tiles and the paintings of the walls and ceilings, by Bento Coelho da Silveira. The National Museum of the Tile is currently located in the convent.

Follow us

Follow us in the social networks