Description
The Convent of the Cardaes was founded by D. Luísa de Távora in 1681 to house nuns of the Discalced Carmelite Order. In 1703, construction of the building was completed, with the church running parallel to what is now Rua do Século, and the convent featuring a courtyard and cloister enclosed within the block.
After the death of the last nun in 1876, the convent was handed over to the Congregation of the Dominican Sisters of Saint Catherine of Siena, to establish a shelter for blind women – a mission that continues to this day.
Other names:
Convent of Our Lady of the Conception of the Cardaes of Lisbon; Convent
See more